Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I painted an antique!

Well,first I have to say that I love antiques. I always wondered why a person would paint over beautiful wood and "destroy" an antique. Because it gets ugly at some point, that's why. A friend gave me an old dresser about ten years ago, and I have used it for my makeup table. When we moved, it was so decrepit that I just kept it in the basement and used another desk for my makeup.

When I was finally able to turn part of the guest room into a craft room, I knew it would be the perfect size. Upstairs it came. But, as you can see by the picture, it was in terrible shape. Sooooo......I decided to paint it. It took a few days to get the nerve, but at last, I took a small brush and applied a small amount in an inconspicuous place. Ta-da! It was beautiful!

I took the plunge, and it came out so pretty. It's a light, muted spring green, and the antique brass pulls look pretty with the color, so I just left them like they were. I just put one coat of paint on, and in some places it soaked in, giving it an painted antique look. I like that. I didn't know what to do with the leather top, since it was in pretty good shape, so I left it for now. I think I am going to get a piece of thick plexiglass and router it out to fit the top. Then I will have a good surface to wipe clean of paint and glue.











1 comment: